'Agree With Everything - Deny Nothing - Embellish All

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Purple Haze

Driving home so-late-it-was-early I noticed the sky above Moota Hill was already lightening behind the traces of rain-clouds. About to descend towards Parsonby I caught a glimpse of something astonishing. A lens of purple light stretched the length of the Solway from Cardurnock to Robin Rigg. It seemed to be floating in the middle air, weaving between the red-lanterned transmission towers of Anthorn, wreathing the shore light at Southerness before dissolving around the offshore wind turbines in mid-channel. The effect was jolting and hallucinatory, not so much a trick of the light as a shameless piece of effrontery. A moment's thought suggested that a shoal of cold night-air above the Solway was condensing mist and then refracting what little pre-dawn light was streaming over my shoulder from above Skiddaw and the north-eastern fells. The sight was a small bit of nocturnal conjuring to which I was very probably the sole witness. All it lacked was a distant Brockenspectre, a ghostly car projected upon the lens of light.
Two minutes later, in the lane at by Arkleby Toll a hare appeared in my headlights and ran off just ahead of my wheels before vanishing into a dark hedgerow.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, no strobing lights, no saucer-like objects hovering?

21/6/08 1:16 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick,

I saw it too , just before I passed out clutching my empty bottle of Bombay Sapphire gin. I awoke several hours later thinking I had Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

Fred

22/6/08 9:42 pm  
Blogger ladislavjaggi said...

Titanium Chopsticks - Achi-Arts - TITanium Art
TITIAN CHANCE TITS You'll want t fal titanium Titanium Chances to spice up a meal with citizen promaster titanium something tasty. raw titanium Ingredients. TITIAN CHANCE TITS $2.75 ford escape titanium for sale · titanium wedding bands ‎In stock

5/3/22 11:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home